6/28/2009

What Kind of Tech User Am I??

Well, I did the test mentioned in the title and the result was that I am an Ambivalent Networker:
If you are an Ambivalent Networker, you have folded mobile devices into how you run your social life, whether through texting or online social networking tools. You also rely on ICTs for entertainment. At the same time – perhaps because of the volume of digital pings from others – you may sometimes find all your connectivity to be intrusive. You are confident in your ability to troubleshoot your various information devices and services.

Well, I think that this matches pretty well, because I think that I would be able to "survive" without my cellphone, TV, Radio, etc. Concerning the Web, it would be somhow difficult as it takes such a big part in life: it nearly replaces all the old media devices, you can watch TV online, or via a DVB-T stick, you can listen to the radio online, read newspapers, even local ones!
But, as I have already mentioned in a blog entry before, what do we actually do online? If we do not have to do any reference work for university, everyone of us has got his 4 or 5 webpages (email, YouTube, studiVZ, maybe amazon and ebay) and that is it! And how often do we sit in front of the monitor and think "Maaan... it is so boring, why does not anything happen??" - but then, there might be an event of a world-wide interest, such as Michael Jackson´s death (Rest in Peace, Jacko). Then we have got something else to do, because we try to find out the circumstances (in this case) and all that is connected to this event.
I was impressed by the extent the media reported on MJ´s death: Each and every headline looked the same: "Michael Jackson is dead!" There were even special programs on CNN and BBC so that the regular shows were not broadcast to report about Jackson...

But let´s get back to the test: I am pretty happy with the result, because I am sure that I can manage my life without all this technical stuff... at least temporarily ;)

My online behavior has not changed by taking this class very much, but I have to say that now I am much more active concerning blogs, blogposts, comments and stuff like that! Thanks Svetlana! :) I have always been somehow interested in blogging, but I have never taken the step. Now I see that it is pretty easy, does not take much time, and sharing thoughts with others and getting opinions of other people can actually widen your (mental) horizon and be much fun!

So guys, don´t be afraid of new things, especially technical devices! And tell your parents and grand-parents who might be frightened of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment